Returning to work
Returning to work after you have had your baby can be a big decision and there are lots of things to consider. You may be hoping that you can reduce your hours to accommodate child care; lots of parents also worry about leaving their baby.
This is all normal but can be overwhelming. Talk to other parents and colleagues at your work place to see how they manage and speak to your employer about how they can accommodate you and your new responsibilities.
Once you know what your working pattern is likely to be when you return to work, you can begin your search for childcare. Choosing the right childcare can be really challenging for parents.
Looking for Childcare information?
Hackney Family Information Service offers children, young people, families, carers and professionals information, advice and guidance on local services and support available to them.
There is a telephone help-line as well as web-based information on a range of services including:
- information on local children centres, early years nurseries, pre-schools and childminders
- childcare funding options
- activities for children and young people
Family Information Service contact details:
- Telephone 020 8820 7590, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Email email@example.com
- Visit our Facebook or Twitter or Instagram page
Tips to help you chose childcare
- start early – most childcare places have a waiting list, so it is best to start your search as soon as possible.
- identify which type of childcare you want
- home-based childcare – can be a registered childminder or a nanny
- childcare on domestic premises or group-based childcare – can be a pre-school, day nursery /day care, school nursery or nursey classes
- make a shortlist of available childcare in your area (childcare in Hackney, childcare in the City)
- make contact to arrange a visit and ask questions in person, if it helps take a friend or speak to other mothers who are already using the child care provider. It may help to prepare a list of things you would like to find out or questions that you would like to ask.
- check the quality/grade and read report of the childcare provider you are considering. Ofsted have background check reports available.
- find out what support with childcare cost you might be entitled to at Childcare Choices and Childcare Calculator